Thursday, September 29, 2011

And It Ended With A Whimper

And so it ended, not with a bang but with a whimper. Fortunately for me, boring was good.

For the fifth time in 14 years, I took home the title in the Billy Almon Brown Graduate Rotisserie League. Unlike prior nights, yesterday was anticlimactic. I started the day tied, took an early lead and never let go.

A save by Frank Francisco in the lone A.L. afternoon game gave me a 1/2 point lead (75 to 74.5), as my opponent was tied in saves by the team behind him. This only happened because Chris Sale blew a save for the White Sox in the top half of the 9th, opening the door for Francisco.

Then Mark Teixeira hit a grand slam off of David Price. It's not official yet but this was game, set, and match. The second place team had Price. Those four earned runs off of Price put my opponent behind the sixth place squad in ERA. The 6th place team has Matt Harrison, but Harrison pitches a gem. Joe Smith adds insult to injury giving up another two earned runs for the second place team. I'm now 1 1/2 points up.

During everyone else's Game 162, my opponent has finally run out of chances. Chris Perez or Greg Holland would need a save to swing half a point back to the 2nd place squad, but both the Indians and Royals lose. Gordon Beckham, Teixeira (2) and Mike Napoli (2) all swat home runs for me, putting home runs out of reach for my opponent. Those home runs also put me up nine in RBI on the team behind me.

Andrew Bailey saves a game that loses another 1/2 point for my opponent in saves to close out the night. In a little over 24 hours, I went from two points behind to winning by two points.

I'll be taking a vacation and returning with content on or around October 10. Thanks for your continued support this year, and I hope to see all of you this winter.

No comments: