Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tout Wars and Vickrey

Tout Wars this year modified its Vickrey FAAB rule (For a basic description of what Vickrey bidding is, click here). Bids under $10 do not move downward because of Vickrey, while bids over $10 revert to the second highest bid plus $1.

Thus far, there really hasn't been much impact. I have noticed a number of $10 bids in Tout Wars N.L., but because I'm a new participant, I don't know if this is normal, abnormal, or something in between.

The explanation on the Tout Wars web site says:
Tout Wars loves the Vickrey FAAB system, but the feeling was that applying Vickrey on the less contested players gave owners a nearly unlimited budget, as player after player was reduced to $1.
I'm not complaining, as I've never exhausted all of my FAAB in any non-Vickrey league I've participated in, but I thought that this was sort of the point of Vickrey. It allows you to make aggressive bids without having to worry about spending all of your money. Tout Wars also allows $0 FAAB bids as well as trading FAAB dollars, so it is impossible to be put into a corner where you cannot bid on a player.

No comments: