Saturday, March 15, 2008

Patterson & Pagan

anonymous writes:
Patterson at $15 freaks me out.

Would you bid anything on Pagan in an NL-only, with rumors that he might be heading to the American League?
Corey Patterson bums me out, more than he freaks me out, since he's the kind of player who is more valuable in Roto than in real life and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

But the Reds have been running him out there in CF and in the lead-off spot every game since he's gotten his legs under him. He's a threat to steal 35-40, and I agree with Toz that his acquisition is a sign that the Reds aren't going to rush Jay Bruce. $15 seems reasonable. If you're squeamish and want to stop at $12, I understand.

My bid on Pagan right now would be $2. I haven't heard anything about him going to the A.L., and with Moises Alou down and Carlos Beltran gimpy, I'd assume Pagan is going to AAA if he doesn't make the team. I think Pagan's OK, but his low OBP makes me think that Endy Chavez will get most of the starts in the short-term. For what it's worth, Willie Randolph is making the kind of mushy statements managers are required by Florida state law to make about scrappy players like Pagan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm putting together my draft strategy in my NL-only keeper league, and I'm trying to figure out the route to go. My league just bumped up minimum rosters from 27 to 30. We still ave our $271 budget, though.

Some basics of my league: daily rosters, 10 pitchers, 13 positional players.

You've seen my keepers and thought I had a decent team. But now, with the rosters even bigger, does this mean I should spend some cash on my bench; or should I go with a bunch of endgame $1 players while everyone else spends up their benches? I worry that this will leave me with few prospective fill-ins in case a starter goes down, but it would give me more money to spend on impact players during the auction.

I guess my real question should be: If you are fortunate enough not to be bitten by the injury bug too badly, how much impact does a bench player have on a team with daily lineups? Am I looking at getting 15 percent of the overall production; 5 percent? And how does that translate to counting stats (HR, R, RBI, SB)? I'd hate to go the $1-per-bench-spot route and find out I could lose my league by not having some solid guys to dump in my lineup on a Monday or a Thursday.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I notice several times you refer to a player producing $X of value. How do you go about calculating the dollar value of a specific 5x5 statline?

Just an idea for a post for those of us new to the auction format.

Thanks.