Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dumping Saves

Last spring, I talked briefly about dumping saves in a more general post about dumping one category. Joe wonders if this strategy could work in his league.
I play in a longstanding NL only 5x5 keeper league that has historically overvalued closers to a dramatic degree. The average price for a single closer in this league is $35, and Billy Wagner was held over at $40 a couple years ago. Meanwhile, those who might become closers - your Matt Lindstroms, Tony Penas and such - get bid up to nearly $10 at auction and fill the early rounds of the reserve draft.

I've never been brave enough to punt the category, and nobody has ever won our league doing so. But should I? I could hold over Jose Valverde at $30 - he'd go for $35 or more at auction - but I'm tempted to trade him for something more useful and going without a closer. Your thoughts?
I don't know what the inflation is like in your league, Joe, but it sounds to me like owners are valuing closers like you're playing 4x4.

Top 10 N.L. Saves 2007
Pitcher
SV4x4
5x5
Diff.
LABR
Jose Valverde47
$37$22-16
$16
Francisco Cordero44
$34$20-14
$18
Trevor Hoffman42
$35$20-15
$19
Takashi Saito39
$42$26-16
$20
Chad Cordero37
$27
$16
-11
$20
Billy Wagner34
$30$19-11
$24
David Weathers
33
$26$15-11
$7
Kevin Gregg
32
$24$16-8
$7
Jason Isringhausen
32
$32$19-13
$12
Ryan Dempster
28
$17
$10
-7
$7
Average37
$30$18-12
$15

The difference in Patton $ between 4x4 and 5x5 is astounding. You're simply not getting enough of an ROI on closers to bid much more than $30, even with inflation, to justify the high bids in your league. And, if your league is spending too much on saves, it probably means that there are value opportunities elsewhere in your auction based on the spending trend you describe.

My question for you would be: where is the money coming from that is being spent on closers? Is hitting going for less? Or are people skimping on starting pitching? From this knowledge, you could build a strategy around a value proposition where you either corner the market on hitting or top starting pitching and go from there. If teams in your league are spending $10 on the Tony Pena/Matt Lindstrom types who might get saves later on, there should be even more money to spend elsewhere.

If it's such a seller's market for closers, I would definitely move Valverde. I was in a league once where you could turn a two-for-one deal for a closer since people valued competing in the category so much. I'd pull the trigger if I were you. It sounds to me like you could get someone to really overpay.

Don't be afraid to toss a category overboard if your league is overpaying. If its overpaying by that much, you should be able to do very well in the other nine categories if you structure your bids for your auction correctly.

2 comments:

Joe Sally said...

Thanks for the advice. I'm inclined to agree with you, particularly after seeing the value difference between 4x4 and 5x5.

There is quite a bit of inflation in our league; teams can hold over as many as 13 players (depending on where they finished in the standings) and there are plenty of dump trades that leave losing teams well stocked with cheap holdovers for the following year.

That said, you're right - the value has to be going somewhere. Let's hope I can find it ...

This is a great blog, BTW - I'm very glad I found it before my auction(s). Keep up the good work!

Joe Sally said...

Thought I'd follow up. I ended up trading my $30 Valverde for a $5 Homer Bailey (whom I can hold over on my reserve roster since he didn't make the team) and a $1 Shawn Hill. I think I got some upside value there; now I have to make productive use of the $29 draft day dollars I saved.