Monday, March 03, 2008

Keeper Question

anonymous writes:
I'm also now in a conundrum regarding my keepers. Since Pena isn't the closer (yet), do I throw him back into the auction and keep Belliard (at the $3), Cody Ross ($3) or Ruiz ($5)? Remember that my league counts holds and W-L, rather than wins. I already have Broxton, so I'm wondering if it's better to keep a hitter over Pena, then be ready to pay $8 or so for Pena at auction.
In auction-style leagues, there is always a difference between projections and bid limits.

If I were in the business of making projections, my projections for Ron Belliard and Cody Ross would probably be worth more than my projection for Tony Pena. Belliard has always been a solid citizen in Roto, while I believe that Ross is going to get most of the AB in CF for the Marlins while Cameron Maybin figures it all out in AAA.

That being said, I suspect Pena has more upside than anyone else on this list of players. I still think that he'll figure into the closer mix for the Diamondbacks, unless they trade for Joe Nathan in June.

Having Pena and Jonathan Broxton does give you a lot holds. However, dominating a category at $10 isn't a bad thing. You can always try to trade your excess later, and Pena and Broxton should contribute in ERA/WHIP in any event.

2 comments:

ewv said...

I absolutely love this site! One of the best I have found for fantasy baseball. Looking forward to participating in more ways than just praise - but anyhow I appreciate the commentary here - in particular the breakdown of the auction (I'm an NL guy) and predictions and such.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mike. I'll look into keeping Belliard. If I do, that'll give me an extra $2 at auction, which I could use to pick up Pena if he were to bump up to $7. If I keep Belliard, I'll have to pursue power at OF or 3B/CI.

I've noticed in some mock auctions that the endgame is by far the most lucrative (which, I guess, is obvious given all the arguments you have put forth in past blogs). With that said, are you generally seeing owners put excellent or mediocre players up for auction in the first several rounds, hoping that third-tier players drop to cheaper prices?

I ask only because I've seen Wainwright and Cain taken for some awfully low figures in three NL-only mocks (both less than $10). That seems crazy to me.

How do you go about your auction strategies for re-auctions or keeper leagues? As always, thanks for the input.