Thursday, February 07, 2008

CBS Sportsline NL Expert Draft - Catcher Highlights

Catcher highlights in the National League are short and sweet - there are frankly very few catchers with any significant value. In fact, I only had three on my sheet - Martin at $22, McCann at $17 and Bengie Molina at $10. Everyone else was $9 or lower.

Unfortunately, I was first out, so I missed some of the endgame catchers. For example, at the time I left, Chris Ianetta, David Ross, Brian Schneider, Yorvit Torrealba, Yadier Molina, Johnny Estrada and Chris Snyder were all still on the board. These guys varied between $1 and $7 on my sheet.

Martin went for $26 and McCann went for $20, a bit over my par value (+$4 and +$3 respectively). Soto was the first catcher off the board (in the first round) and was price enforced to $9. In retrospect, I might rather have Soto at $10, but buying a rookie catcher in the first round in double digits was not high on my list of things to do.

Doumit went for $7, LoDuca for $6, Towles for $7 and Bard for $6 - these were at or just below par on my sheet.

Kendall went for $1, along with Mike Rabelo. Despite being a starter, Rabelo was a guy I couldn't see drafting for fear that he might actually get 350-400AB. Montero went for $1 as well. Flores went for $2. Given Estrada being there, I can't see him starting the season with the team, or making much, if any, contribution this year.

Analysis: The majority of the starting catchers went late. Looking back in hindsight, I think playing the $1 catching game might have worked. Estrada might have been a good late play. On the other hand, I am happy to have two catchers at $14 that can produce the numbers Ruiz and Molina should produce.

Tomorrow: 1B

No comments: