Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Pep Talk for Those in Keeper Leagues

In his response to my recent post about dumping saves, Joe laments how hard it is in his carryover league.
There is quite a bit of inflation in our league; teams can hold over as many as 13 players (depending on where they finished in the standings) and there are plenty of dump trades that leave losing teams well stocked with cheap holdovers for the following year.

That said, you're right - the value has to be going somewhere. Let's hope I can find it ...
My money league has the same conditions that Joe talks about. Our keeper maximum is 15 (though FAAB and the expiration of long-term contracts make it extremely rare for one owner to keep 15 players), and we have a fairly robust dumping culture as well. I've always considered our inflation rate (20-25%) moderate compared to some leagues I've heard about.

Still, keeper leagues do tend to alter your focus and make much of the advice you see out there virtually worthless. Most mainstream fantasy publications and web sites look at dumping the way an economics professor might look at graft and corruption in business: it exists, but shouldn't be taught as part of the traditional business model (and, yes, I'm thinking about the hilarious scene in the 1986 comedy Back to School where Thornton Melon gives Professor Barbay an education in how business works in the real world, and all the college kids eagerly take notes).

As any of us in Joe's boat know, though, understanding valuation and inflation aren't enough. We have to also have a decent handle on how likely or unlikely it is that we'll be able to field a competitive team in a league like mine or Joe's.

Since my readership has increased by about 67% from this time last year, I thought it would be useful to refer everyone back to this post. I posed one of the most basic questions that every good owner should ask in a freeze league, which is:
can you win it all?

One of the greatest failings of many owners is that they fail to look in the mirror in March and ask this fundamental question. Yet another group of owners look at their teams, look at the presumptive favorite heading into the auction, and decide to dump before the auction has even started. I believe this is a loser's mentality and - if you take this approach - you are deciding to lose.

You have to prepare to win every spring. Of course, that doesn't mean you will win...the conditions in keeper leagues often put you on a very slippery slope. But you should enter every season putting yourself in the best position to do so.

Furthermore, you should do whatever it takes to put yourself in that position (short of collusion, of course). Analyze the landscape of your league, and decide if you can compete across eight (or ten) categories. If you can't, decide which category or categories would be easiest to toss overboard. Trade and auction under these assumptions. Adjust during your auction and once the season starts to take advantage of every opportunity.

You might not win. Heck, in my very competitive league I've lost more often than I've won. It's a tough environment out there. But go down fighting. Don't dump until it becomes patently obvious that you have to.

And that's the best advice I can give to any owner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think winning means different things to different owners, but to me, win means win money. If I don't have one of the better keeper lists I shoot for creating a money team. That usually means a quirky new strategy that I've never tried. Usually it's category targeting and frequently involves dumping a category or maybe to to maximize points where my players' strengths lie. I've found in 5x5 leagues that accumulating Runs and RBI can sometimes be easy as most teams still overpay for glamor stats of HR and SB.

Toz said...

Eugene - this is a great point. This very issue arose in the context of our American League last year, when a few owners were upset by an early dump trade. The dumping owner's position was: based on the teams ahead of me, and based on a couple of injuries I have, I cannot win, and, therefore, I'm out of it.

I take a similar approach; I'm in to win, not finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

That doesn't mean, however, that you can't, or shouldn't, run for the money every year.

After I finish up some National League positional analysis, I hope to refer back to auction preparation and auction strategies. I have two quirky strategies in place for this upcoming year in my American League 4x4 and National League 5x5; they are probably worth talking about in order to get into alternative strategies when you just don't have enough value to "play it straight."