Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Buried Early in ERA/WHIP (but with saves!)

Noah praises my last post, but points out something I may have missed.
Absolutely timely post. CC Sabathia, Javier Vazquez, Max Scherzer, Justin Masterson, Jeremy Guthrie and Kevin Slowey as primary starters - and, yuck, buried indeed. The one thought you did not cover is when, assuming you have decent closers (in this case, Andrew Bailey and David Aardsma), do you sell the SP and bring in at least one more top closer and some lesser light SP and play for SVs, and pick up the WHIP and ERA points, punting the wins?
I would stick by my original advice and tell you to be relatively patient.

I'd hang on to Sabathia, Vazquez and Slowey and dump Guthrie and Masterson (assuming you're in a 4x4. If you're in a 5x5, I'd probably dump Masterson, but it would be contingent upon where I stood in strikeouts).

Rather than grab a closer or two, though, I'd pick up either a middle reliever or starting pitcher through FAAB and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. Generally speaking, unless I can make a 5-6 point leap in saves, I try to avoid trading for them in mid-May (or later).

You also have two closers already, so unless you're in a mixed league, you're probably already near the top of the heap in saves. While grabbing a great closer like Mariano Rivera or Joakim Soria will help you in ERA/WHIP, those guys won't come cheap.

Your best bet is really to sit tight with your three top pitchers and hope they improve. As I said yesterday, I'm guessing that you paid a fair amount for your three top pitchers. If they continue to stink, it won't matter what you do anywhere else. Based on historical trends, am I right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, I ended up agreeing. And, then either made deal that will help momney finish or I suppose give me guys I can flip if season gets away from me. So went other way and decided to rely on SP and see if over time can get the pitching points anyway. Swapped Zobrist, Swisher, Masterson and two prospects (one of whom I hated to give up, Flowers) for C Pena, Markakis, M Izturis, and Greinke. Yes, a team playing for next year, but we have a cap on players we can keep, and I would rather keep core of Cano, Choo, Cruz, V Mart at reasonable prices, and my closers plus $6 Joba and cheap R Sweeney, Borbon than keep betting on quad A hitters.