Wednesday, February 10, 2010

CBS Expert Analyst AL Auction

$14. While in and of itself a harmless, innocuous number, it means something different when you look up at the end of your auction and see $14/0 sitting on the screen in front of you. Thoughts of all those players who went at par go by in your head as you sit and think - Holy Crap.

I am going to spend a lot of time over the next couple of weeks writing about this auction. There is plenty of material; this is the closest to a par auction I have been involved with at CBS. It was pretty tight throughout the opening rounds, and odd numbers did not start popping up until the very end.

Let me start with this as background. I went in with a set strategy to auction a Sweeney team or a modified Sweeney team, depending on how things fell out. I figured this would work well, given the usual overspending for the top tier stars. The goal was simple: 2 top 10 pitchers at $50 or less; 2 closers at $40 or less. Grab Ellsbury and fill in the roster from there.

The strategy worked really well...I think I did some very nice work auctioning value at the corners and in the middle. The rub is this: I thought I would need the money for the players I was targeting and let a lot of par/borderline players go. Had I known no one would push me hard on Encarnacion, Pennington and others, things certainly would have worked out differently.

As soon as EMack posts the rosters, I will post the link.

No comments: