Monday, February 25, 2008

Sportsline High Priced Hitters: Another Take

I've been discussing the high prices in the A.L. CBS Sportsline expert auction in a number of recent posts. One of my theories is that the auction had elements of a Stage One auction. This would explain the high prices on players like Alex Rodriguez ($54), Miguel Cabrera ($46), Alex Rios ($35), and a handful of others.

However, there is another possibility.

We all sometimes only see things from our own narrow world view. When it comes to valuation, I tend to look first and foremost at Alex Patton's pricing and dismiss everyone else's pricing. Is it possible, though, that other pricing systems rate the stars higher?

Top 10 AP 5x5 Hitters 2007

AP
Rank
PlayerAP$
RT $Diff.
1Alex Rodriguez $45$55+10
2Ichiro Suzuki
$38$42+4
3Magglio Ordonez $37$46+9
4Carl Crawford$36$39+3
5David Ortiz$32$39+7
6Brian Roberts
$32$34+2
7Curtis Granderson
$30$35+5
8Chone Figgins$29$31+2
9Grady Sizemore
$29$33
+4
10Nick Markakis$28$33+5

One thing we rarely look at anymore is valuation. The pricing wars, as Patton once said, are over. We might quibble by $1 or $2 here and there, but A-Rod is worth somewhere between $43-46 in just about every pricing system.

Or so I assumed.

But look at this chart! A-Rod is worth $10 more than Patton says he is, according to Rototimes. Magglio Ordonez, a player with virtually zero speed to speak of, earned $46. Same with David Ortiz, who earned $39.

By Rototimes' reckoning, these players were bargains in the Sportsline auction! And I'm a fool for not pushing A-Rod up another dollar!

If the top players are worth more, though, I have to assume that the players in the middle are worth less.

71-80 AP 5x5 Hitters 2007
AP
Rank
PlayerAP$
RT $Diff.
71Jermaine Dye
$13$16+3
72Howie Kendrick
$13$14+1
73Aubrey Huff
$13$15+2
74Jack Cust
$13$16+3
75Vernon Wells
$13$15+2
76J.D. Drew
$13$15+2
77David DeJesus
$12$14+2
78Mark Grudzielanek
$12$14+2
79Jason Kubel
$12$13
+1
80Kenji Johjima
$12$13+1

They're not. From a pricing standpoint, that's a problem.

Retrospective prices are different than bids; they don't have to add up to a league's budget. In fact, they should go over, since players who enter the league from the minors, the free agent pool, or the "other" league add more stats into the league than what we buy. However, I know that the Patton prices for the 276 most common players who were bought in auctions last April do add up to $3120.

So Rototimes' prices are too high. That makes a bigger difference in the Top 10. The differences here aren't as interesting. But I expected a drop for Rototimes somewhere.

And, after a lot of squinting, I found it.

121-130 AP 5x5 Hitters 2007
AP
Rank
PlayerAP$
RT $Diff.
121Ben Broussard
$6$5-1
122Willie Bloomquist
$5$4-1
123Mike Redmond
$5$4-1
124Gregg Zaun
$5$6+1
125Jason Giambi$5$50
126Scott Podsednik$5$3-2
127Bobby Crosby$5$4-1
128Darin Erstad$5$4-1
129Adam Lind$5$5
0
130Freddie Bynum
$5$3-2

Finally, Rototimes' pricing system finds a place to pay less than what Patton says we should pay retrospectively. These differences certainly aren't exciting, but they are differences.

And, if you believe in Rototimes' system, then paying $54 for A-Rod or $46 for Miguel Cabrera isn't unrealistic. The guys at the bottom of the barrel are, in actuality, worth less.

Let's say we could go back and have a retrospective auction. Scott Podsednik comes up. The bid is $3. Do you want him? (In a retrospective auction, that is. In a real auction, I want more profit from my $3 player.)

If you told me that his stats were worth $5, I sure do, assuming that most of the pricing systems are going to be similar. That's a $2 profit, and if I can get a $2 profit on all of my players, I've got a $306 team, which would be competitive in most leagues.

But if you told me he was only worth $3, I'd pass. Getting par back in a retrospective auction would leave me with a $260 team.

So there is another possible explanation for the high prices in the Sportsline expert auction. If you believe A-Rod earned $55 last year, buying him for $54 makes a certain amount of sense. Even if he slips and "only" earns $48, you're buying $48 worth of stats.

Of course, I don't believe any of this. Rototimes' pricing model is a Stage One pricing model. A-Rod wasn't worth $55 in 2007, he was worth $45. And the team that bought him for $54 in Sportsline overpaid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this, tell me if I'm looking at my team incorrectly (12-team, NL-only, 6X6 (holds, doubles-triples) with 27- to 30-man rosters and a $271 auction budget that expands to $300 during the season): I have Eric Byrnes ($17), Adrian Gonzalez ($10), Kelly Johnson ($15) and Hanley Ramirez ($17). I was thinking that I'd pick up two over-priced stars (say Howard at $45 and Utley at $45). I say this only because (according to my math -- and a review of past years of my league) I figure I'll only need to average 16 HR, 55 R, 55 RBI and 6 SB for the remaining seven starters. Is this stupid?

Anonymous said...

Mike, In 1999/2000 off season, I think (could have been a year off) I participated in the USAToday Baseball Weekly retroactive draft. We drafted in January of 2000 for the 1999 stats. That's probably right because it was a test of what Pedro was worth in retrospect.

Mike Brown won (the regular guy from LABR who won LABR). He bought Pedro. John Hunt had a column about it that I think is still in his archives.

I came in 3rd, but screwed the pooch at the end. I was drafting for value, not stats. And, in the end game I took the most valuable pitcher available. John Hunt misinterpreted my strategy in his summary. He said I was going for wins. What happened was I was already out front in wins, and in taking the most valuable pitcher I gained even more wins. That was a mistake, because a less valuable pitcher (in terms of post season value) would have been better for me if his value was tied up in ERA/Ratio only. That would have moved me up 2 points in one category and one in the other, costing my chief competitors including Brown, leading to me winning pitching without Pedro and I think also the league.