Tuesday, February 19, 2008

CBS Sportsline N.L.: Outfield (Part I)

Well, I need to break this up; otherwise, this is going to be a very long post. I am going to do this a little differently than my other posts and Mike's style as well. Instead of focusing on price, I am going to talk about the overpriced, the under-priced and the priced just right groups. I think this will put things in a better fantasy perspective.

The overpriced:

Before I start listing players, let me define overpriced. Based upon my 5x5 prices, these are the players that went for $7 or more over my sheet price. Since this is a non-keeper, non-inflation draft, anything $7 or over is beyond preference and is just simply an overpay. By the way, these are in the order in which they were called out.

Carlos Lee $34 (+7): I like Carlos Lee. He doesn't run much anymore, and, frankly, he is going to be in a so-so lineup. Paying up to $30 might be okay, but in the outfield, I generally like to get profit, not par.

Alfonso Soriano $40 (+$10): If you think I didn't like Lee's price, I liked Soriano's price a lot less. Just for reference, Holliday and Soriano were the two highest price outfielders. Both went for $40. Even using Mike Fenger's price, this is still a huge overpay.

Hunter Pence $32 (+$10): Now I like Pence as much as the next tout, but $32 in 5x5 for a second year outfielder is a heck of a price to pay. He was taken in the third round, so it is not like there was a shortage of money to spend for him; half the room waited for him lol. If you are going to overpay for someone, it is generally a guy like Pence. The K/BB is a little scary, but he showed decent bat control in the minors and it isn't like he struck out 150 times.

Adam Dunn $31 (+$7): It is hard not to like Dunn's power, but you just never know which average contributor is going to show up: average neutral or average-killer. Mike Fenger has a $31 bid on him, but he and I will have to part ways on this one. Without enough speed to offset the average drag, I just don't like this price with so many other good outfielders available.

Brad Hawpe $28 (+8): Again, Hawpe is a player I like, but given that the runs aren't quite there and there is no speed potential, the price is too much. I would rather overpay Pence than overpay Hawpe. Hawpe's splits aren't as bad as his teammates, but they still make him a much better hitter at home. Any drop-off there, and the earnings continue to drop.

Rick Ankiel $20 (+8): I love Ankiel. Perhaps my price was a little light, but that is a busy outfield and there is no speed at all. There is also now the steroid specter hanging over him. Tough price at $20...he needs a repeat of last year's limited ABs to come close.

Chris B. Young $32 (+13): This is the largest disparity between my price and the CBS auction price, and I have to admit that I was pretty shocked to see this happen. Bottom of the barrel average and a poor K/BB; this just looks like a bad investment even if he hits 50 HR.

Matt Kemp $28 (+10): Now I like Matt Kemp as much as the next guy; the athletic prowess is amazing. On the other hand, he is in a crowded outfield and the trade rumors continue to swirl (though I am sure the Dodgers would like to keep Kemp). He can flat out hit, and he has some speed. I can see even going to $20 or $21, but $28 is too much of a risk.

Next time: the bargains (and there are plenty).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's good to see that my league (NL only 5x5 3-year keeper with major inflation) isn't the only one overpaying for players. We just had an owner trade for Carlos Lee at $39. Anyways, the one that floors me is the Chris B. Young price at $32. I don't care if the guy goes 40-40, that average (even with a slight improvement) basically sinks you in a category. If I'm paying over $30 for a player, he'd better be giving me points instead of taking them away.

Toz said...

Mike G. and I were talking yesterday, and one of the topics we keep coming back to is the dynamic of an "expert" auction. My opinion has always been that the numbers get skewed because there is a race to own: the best player (ARod for example) and the young "popular" players (Kemp, Young, etc.). In that way, the auction resembles a Stage 1 auction.