Thursday, March 20, 2008

NL Positional Battles: March 20, 2008 Edition

There is plenty of interesting news out there today. Rather than talk about team positional battles, let me address some of the news and put it into context for your fantasy team.

John Patterson, the Nationals Opening Day starter last year, is now available (more on the Nationals later). It is shocking to see Patterson on the block, but I've been reading that his velocity is way down...more injuries? The move is puzzling more from a salary cap perspective - this move only saves the Nationals $600,000. Perhaps the Nationals are thinking trade?

With Shawn Hill looking like he'll start the year on the disabled list, the Nationals starting staff looks something like (in no particular order): John Lannan, Joel Hanrahan, Matt Chico, Jason Bergmann and Tim Redding. I must admit that I like Bergmann, but he has huge fly ball tendencies. Redding has pitched well this spring, but he just does not seem to be able to fool major league hitters on a regular basis. Redding's GB% dropped to 41.9% last year, and in the new ballpark, that could spell disaster.

The minor leagues do not hold many options. Collin Balester might be an option, but not a good one. Ross Detwiler is not ready for prime time.
Garrett Mock is still struggling with injuries.

Be very careful with this rotation.

Nomar Garciaparra won't wield a bat until next week; it looks like Tony Abreu will be the starting third baseman for the Dodgers barring a trade. Joe Crede is still available, though I cannot believe the Dodgers will part with a top prospect for him. I'm not sure the Dodgers would part with Andre Ethier for him either, though I am sure the White Sox would love to add him to the roster.

How about Blake DeWitt? He was 21 at A+ and AA last year, and actually turned himself into a pretty good third baseman. 68Ks and 27 BBs in 548 PAs isn't a terrible ratio, and, frankly, I'm a little puzzled about the knock on his ability to make contact. He is certainly an option, but I would not get too excited, particularly with veteran lover Joe Torre at the helm.

The Giants are leaning toward Brian Bocock to fill Omar Vizquel's shoes at shortstop while Omar enjoys extended spring training. This not only mucks up my positional battle analysis from the other day, but also makes me wonder why Brian Sabean and Pete McGowan have not been tarred and feathered in San Francisco. Frankly, I thought the Giants had enough terrible players on the 40-man roster to avoid terrible non-roster players.


As an aside, you might want to tick Vizquel down a dollar or two; I have a feeling this is an injury that will linger. Please, leave Bocock off of your auction list, unless you just want to yell the name out during your auction.

Speaking of a tick down, Jay Bruce headed to AAA today. The good news here is that Bruce could use two months in AAA. The bad news is, well, we all know the identity of the Reds' manager. In fact, Hee Seop Choi called me and asked me to mention him one more time in the hopes of reviving his career...Hee, we hardly knew ye. The excellent news is that the citizens of Louisville will likely be able to see Bruce and his tag team partner Joey Votto form the core of an excellent AAA team. Knowing Baker, we'll also see Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez down there as well, despite them out-pitching every other member of the Reds rotation. I'm taking the Bats and the points against the Reds.

Finally, let me hit the Cubs...what a segue way! Kerry Wood, Carlos Marmol and Bobby Howry are locked in a scintillating battle for closer, each trying to out-do one another every pitch. Wood returned today from his back spasms, while Marmol and Howry are making hitters look good throughout the Grapefruit League. Seriously...how are fantasy owners supposed to value these guys? I still think Marmol has the best pure stuff. Howry has already proven numerous times that he can't close, and Wood is injured enough that you just can't count on him. $9, $6 and $4? You pick the player.

More news next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenn Gibson was traded to Tampa Bay for Elijah Dukes a few months ago. So you're right, he's not going to be helping the Nationals' rotation. And it's Joel, not John Hanrahan.

Toz said...

You caught me - the Gibson/Dukes trade completely slipped my mind when I wrote this, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.