Sunday, October 25, 2009

Quick Question

This is the third winter that Roto Think Tank is up and running, and each year I've been getting a little better at putting up quality content over the winter. The not-so-veiled goal has been to replicate some of the stuff in Alex Patton's old books while also putting my own spin on it.

I'm considering switching the values in my off-season tables from 4x4 to 5x5. There are some obvious advantages to this change, but the most obvious advantage is that the expert leagues (LABR, Tout Wars, CBS Sportsline) that I track all are 5x5 leagues. Using 5x5 values will give the 20 or so posts I write this winter more of an apples-to-apples feel.

However, I'm aware that many of my readers still use 4x4 and I don't want to alienate them.

I'm already anticipating the next question: "why don't you present both?"

That's a possibility, and one I haven't ruled out. However, this is a more time consuming process and I'd rather devote more time this winter to the quality of the writing than the mechanics of the formulas.

Let me know what you think in the comments.

10 comments:

T.J. said...

I'm a 4x4 traditionalist, but I understand the realities. If you can do both, that would be great. But I'll still come to your site. It's your analysis I look for more than the particular prices. AP's software takes care of that for me.

Dr. Hibbert said...

Ditto. I do my own numbers, but enjoy reading the analysis.

Anonymous said...

5X5. So many leagues are expanding beyond that, too. A 6X6 league might be standard in less than a decade. Who knows?

mulkowsky said...

My vote is 5x5. I'm in 3 leagues, and all are 5x5.

kidmikey said...

2 leagues, both 5x5 so that is my vote. In fact, we use On-Base% instead of batting average. Either way, love the sound, quality analysis you provide

Gypsy Soul said...

Am also in 5x5 primarily, so it's the one I would appreciate the most as well.Egypt36

Gypsy Soul said...

Am also in 5x5 primarily, so it's the one I would appreciate the most as well.

Gypsy Soul said...

Am also in 5x5 primarily, so it's the one I would appreciate the most as well.

Eugene Freedman said...

I've always played 5x5, but I take all prices with a grain of salt and compute my own both in projections and during the year.

No leagues are going to have exactly the same historical split b/w hitters and pitchers. And, some owners may skew certain directions as well.

The analysis and give-and-take is why I come here, not exact dollar figures or player rankings.

Rodger A. Payne said...

My main league is 4x4, but I play in a 5x5 too (with odd categories -- RP instead of RBI, IP over K, and PA over runs). I'll still visit this great blog when I can.