Saturday, April 04, 2009

Non-Linear Inflation

Gypsy Soul posed this question for Eugene, but I'll take a crack at it:
...in the method you use for redistributing inflation dollars which you note in your comment here, what happens to the middle priced player's values ie from $11 to $24? Do you mean you dont add anything for inflation for their prices as well as for those $10 and under?
Eugene's method is listed here.

I'll use the auction I'm doing today as an example. I have my league hitting inflation listed at 23%. I have 38 hitters listed with inflation prices of $10 or under (out of 97 hitters available). Taking all of the inflation dollars away from those hitters would take away $34 from the hitters at $10 or below.

There are 18 players with inflation prices of $25 and up so they would all get $1 added to their inflation values. That would leave $9 to re-distribute. So, using Eugene's method, I have exactly nine players at $30 and up. That would clear out my inflation cash.

Would this method work?

It could. I don't know...because I skew my prices before I calculate inflation. In my A.L. auction that I'll be leaving for in a few hours, I added money to some middle infielders I'm targeting and a couple of players at the top of the pile that I'm interested in prior to calculating inflation. If you are comfortable enough to make adjustments, I'd recommend doing this rather than using Eugene's method.

But it sounds like the method works for Eugene, which is the most important thing. If he's comfortable with it and it has brought him success in this league, then it's a good method.

In my league, it would not be a good method. Hitters at the top and the middle tend to go for around their inflation prices or maybe a little over. If I pushed players up to $1-2 over inflation par I would probably wind up owning more of these players than I typically do, but all that would mean is that I had pushed myself even further away from buying any kind of value in the auction.

2 comments:

Eugene Freedman said...

I've been traveling and my draft is this morning, but MikeG nailed my redistribution system exactly.

Gypsy Soul said...

Yes, I see your point, Mike, it could work in some situations, hopefully Eugene's, but certainly not others. As you often state each auction is different and individualistic so it would be better to tailor the inflation dollars to each situation. Thank you. Good luck today. Until later.....